Thursday, January 14, 2010

English: Subjective Standards

Tell me if this bothers you.

I am taking a class called Iris during this inter-term. The class is mainly a dive into Literature and Film and how they interact. It is a co-taught class between seven teachers and the main teacher, administratively speaking, is the English professor. The work load for this class is very heavy. We have reading or a paper due each day of the eleven day class and we watch a movie every day. Thus, after nine hours of intense thought and discussion, the students are expected to take time outside of class to read or write. The third day of class we had a paper due on the subjects of The Murder of Roger Akroyd by Agatha Christie and Suspicion a film by Hitchcock. I wrote this paper not knowing exactly what to expect and recieved a 78%, C+. I was enraged. I don't often (or ever) receive bad grades on papers and this grade caused me to seriously question myself and my abilities. The English professor proceeded to get up in front of class after discovering that almost the entire class was displeased with their grades and give a speech. He said that as an English teacher he was really trying to make us students better writers, and by giving us appropriate grades he might cause us to improve on our skills. Then he also talked about the possibility that it might be in his best interest to give all the students less than adequate grades at the beginning of the class that we might improve in our writing skills. Thus, if we were disturbed or angry with our grades, to adjust accordingly, and expect improvement from ourselves and the grades we recieved.
Bullshit!
I was appalled at this speech. I raised my hand and asked the professor if there was any kind of objective grading scale which was being used to give such grades. He admitted that there wasn't so and trailed off as he gave some allusion to trying to improve our writing capabilities.

Two days later we had another paper due. This one was on the book and film Big Fish. I wrote about the ways in which the film and book departed from each other in their essential narrative structure. I worked hard on this paper from the point we got out of class until I was happy with what seemed to be an excellent argument and paper before me. I marveled at my own use of language in my late night delirious editorial proofreading. I thought, this will surely earn me a better grade, and show the professor what I am capable of.

I received the paper on the following Monday getting an 80%. Two points higher than my previous paper. Also, a very similar lecture was given about this educational idea of improving student morale by giving better grades as the class progressed. I was aghast.

The next paper I was coerced to write pertained to Shakespeare's Macbeth and Kurosawa's film Throne of Blood. After an entire nine hour session of class, devoted entirely to the picking apart of this play I was exhausted. Additionally, I was expected to write this paper and make it better than my last. I decided not to comply. I wrote the paper in about an hour. I didn't make interesting or thought provoking connections, nor did I follow any of the comments I had received on earlier papers. I wrote as simplistically as I could. Bereft of good language, words, or ideas I thought surely this paper would land me an even worse grade than my initial one. Yet I had a theory. I was not writing and planning on turning in this paper to 'stick it to the man' or be a 'rebel without a cause.' I thought about what my professor had said after receiving each of my previous papers. His long authoritarian speeches about improving the grades as the class progressed, and I took them to heart. I wrote my paper as poorly as I could in order to divulge whether this professor was being truthful in his statements.

He was.
I received a 90% on this paper and laughed my way out of his class room.

I still have two more papers to write for this class. I am truly excited to see what grades I will receive.

2 comments:

  1. What bothers me is that after being in class for nine hours followed by a rigorous amount of homework you still have enough stamina to spew out a good-sized rant.

    I would be surprised if your teacher could physically read and return all of your papers so quickly. So obviously, it's all bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about this "theory" a lot, since I'm on my way to be an English teacher myself.

    The idea almost makes sense; if you have students who are getting A's on their papers, you don't actually know if they are at their highest writing potential they will ever achieve, or if (as a teacher) your grading scale simply can't measure their level of "awesome".

    When teachers try to solve this by doing what you described above, they don't realize (or, sometimes, care at all) that they're giving mediocre grades to students whose potential may already be realized for no reason other than to encourage improvement in those that haven't yet.

    However, after my "research", I've personally landed on the side of "for" this method, but only in the context of certain students. Teachers, professors, etc, shouldn't be looking at their entire class and seeing one person, but many people with different levels of abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

    Notice the effect it had on you at first: you tried even harder than you did before to make sure that you showed a vast improvement on your last paper, which was, by most accounts, "good" to begin with. This is the desired effect, and upon seeing this, the teacher should have given in and given students like you the "A" you deserved. However, instead, he decided that the improvement wasn't satisfactory enough and did the trick again, hoping you'd fall for it (Fool me once, shame on me, but fool me twice...). Instead of a much more amazing paper, he got the crappy one you wrote, but instead treated it like a better one, which effectively destroyed any idea of motivation you may have had to "vastly improve" on your previous essays.

    All in all, your teacher's a douche and is trying to give the illusion of teaching when he's actually just screwing you guys around.

    Wow, that was a little longer than I intended to type out.

    -Chandler

    ReplyDelete